ROLE OF MEDIA IN EDUCATION
Education is a very integral part of our society, a social institution that shapes individuals and teaches them how to act and behave in certain situations. Media has always been a social institution, lots of perceptions and norms in a society are based on the information they receive. Education is the process of learning and knowing, which is not restricted to our school text-books. It is a holistic process and continues through our life. Even the regular happenings and events around us educate us, in one or the other way.
Media may refer to medium of communication to large number of people. The term media derived from medium which mean a mode of communication to reach large number of t audience. And it was first coined in 1920’s.
Today in this era media is become so impactful and powerful in life of every person but especially in education field or business in every field it is important as it is the mode of communication to large number of people. Media has large number of varieties and has different forms for communication purpose. Media has both advantages and disadvantages. But now Social media has been influencing our lives for quite some time now and the trend of using it is ever increasing day by day. It is used by people as a platform to interact among each other, share personal photos, videos, views and reviews on different topics of daily life, politics, sports, markets and much more through the internet with the use of devices like computers, tablets, and cell phones etc.
TYPES OF MEDIA
1. PRINT MEDIA
2. RECORDING MEDIA
3. CINEMA MEDIA
4. RADIO MEDIA
5. TELEVISION MEDIA
6. INTERNET MEDIA
ADVANTAGES OF MEDIA
1. Distribute knowledge over distance like in distance learning student can learn online anywhere and in anytime.
2. Provides information according to needs.
3. Gives opportunity to research the material.
Use for both commercial and non commercial for entertainment.
4. Reaches to large number of people.
5. Enhance education
DISADVANTAGES OF MEDIA
1. Makes student dull and lazy.
2. Encourages mass learning without quality learning.
3. There is connection between excessive internet use and negative using of it
4. Degraded the capacity of research.
5. Some of the students get so much addicted to look for information on social media that they lose learning abilities to solve queries manually.
SOCIAL MEDIA IN EDUCATION
Today, we can see education institutions adapting these developments into their systems and relying on group resources and mechanisms to improve student life. The use of social media in education helps students, teachers and parents to get more useful information, to connect with learning groups and other educational systems that make education convenient. Social network tools afford students and institutions with multiple opportunities to improve learning methods. Through these networks, you can incorporate social media with person and share and communicate easily. Students can benefit from online tutorials through YouTube, online courses delivered by universities abroad through internet and social media.
There is valuable knowledge to be gained through social media such as analytics and insights on various topics or issues for study purposes. As an educational institution, it is crucial to be active in many social platforms possible; this helps create better student training strategies and shapes student culture.
NEGATIVE EFFECT OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Negative effects of social media on students’ academic life enumerated some of the risks associated with social media which included criminal activities such as identity theft and fake contacts which are prevalent today, sexual abuse or harassment and unsuitable advertising. On the same subject are cyber bullying, online harassment, face book depression, and privacy concerns as some of the challenges associated with social networking-
1. Cyber bullying: is a category of bullying that occurs in the digital realm or medium of electronic text. .Cyber bullying is one the serious threat in the social media environment and has called for a number of studies to determine its causes. The significantly related with the use of proactive aggression, justification of violence, exposure to violence and less perceived social support of friends.
2. Privacy concerns: this is another concern that everyone involved in social networking is faced with. The rate at which people post or share fake information calls for alarm and it is difficult to ascertain that, what people say and post are truly who they are. Individuals’ private information is publicly displayed on some of these social networks and malicious people take advantage and perpetrate all kinds of harassment.
The media has the power of educating people, the good and the bad. . On one hand television and newspapers particularly, have provided extensive and extremely useful education content. On the other, however, their newsrooms never seem to hesitate when controversy rears its ugly head. The power of media is so extensive and huge; it can be used to educate people with very little cost. Media today is to inform the people about the latest happening around them and the world. They cover all aspects of our interest like weather, politics, war, health, finance, science, fashion, music, etc. The need for more and more news has evolved into creation of dedicated TV & radio channels and magazines. People can listen, watch and read latest news whenever and wherever they want. Media has all the aspects which can be negative also and positive also it’s on that how we use it and also by precaution so our information cannot be use as a weapon against us.
ITM University, Raipur