LAW SCHOOL REVIEW: KIIT SCHOOL OF LAW
KIIT School of Law (KLS or KSOL) has been imparting great legal education in India. It is a pivotal institution of excellence, scholarship and rigour among the third generation law schools. It was also the first law school of the country which has implemented the curricula recommended by Bar Council of India of 2009.
It is situated in Bhubaneswar the capital city of Odisha. The commute is easy with abundance of public transport. It is located in campus no. 16 of KIIT Deemed to be University, patia.
· Official website
A. Campus – The campus of KIIT university is spread in 700 acres and the school of law i.e. campus 16 is situated in the northern area. The campus life is fun as well as active. The campus encourages all kinds of sports as well as extracurricular activities. The campus comprises of girls and boys hostel along with a sports activities centre.
B. Library - KIIT School of Law has one of the best libraries in the country. The library comprises of 3 floors( reading section, journal section and lending section), has about 21039 books and is open 24x 7.
C. Hostel – The boys and girls’ hostel both have AC and Non- AC rooms on double sharing basis. The mess is included in hostel fee. There are PGs nearby affordable at a price of 5k. The hostels have laundry facilities.
· Academics and Faculties- The course comprises of 10 semesters. The mid semesters comprises of 20 marks, 30 marks of internals and 50 marks of end semesters making it a total of 100 marks. The course also includes one vocational subject which enhances the skill of a lawyer such as drafting and pleading.
The faculties are either graduate and post graduates from National Law Schools or graduate or post graduates from Foreign Universities. The first Director of KLS was Prof.(Dr.) Faizaan Mustafa the present Vice Chancellor of NALSAR, the former directors were Prof(Dr.) N.K. Chakrabarti the present Vice Chancellor of NLU West Bengal, Prof. (Dr.) N.L. Mitra an eminent law professor and the former director of NLU Bangalore and the former Vice Chancellor of NLU Jodhpur. The present director is Prof.(Dr.) S.C. Riana the former professor in Delhi University and director of NLU Himachal Pradesh. Other eminent professors include Prof. V.D. Sebastian former Dean Faculty of Law Cochin University etc.
· Administration and fee structure – The admission takes place through a KITEEE and seats are allotted as per ranks through proper counselling. The fee per semester is about 215000/- if one opts for an AC hostel including mess fee. The administrative staff is also very supportive and helpful.
· Cafeteria- The campus has three cafeterias which are well equipped and with all facilities.
· Student culture and activities – There are several student run societies such moot court society, trail and advocacy society, centre for constitutional law studies and research etc. which help in all round development of law students. The school has an active mooting and debating culture with prime importance to sports and dramatics as well.
· Placement - School of Law of KIIT University has achieved an impressive placement performance for its 2019 graduating batch. A record number of 39 recruiters participated in the campus placement process this year. They included reputed law firms like J Sagar Associates, Khaitan & Co. and Wadia Ghandy & Co.; corporate and MNCs like Deloitte, Bajaj Allianz and Ernst & Young; and legal process outsourcing (LPO) service providers like Mindcrest. With the placement process continuing till the month of June, the School is poised to achieve cent percent placement. The School has emerged in top 10 private laws school and ranked 12 according to NIRF rankings in 2019 and has a very diverse culture. Commutation around the campus is pretty expensive.
Kiit School Of Law, Bhubaneshwar
IMAGE SOURCE: shiksha.com