· Name of institution
Chhattisgarh State Legal Services Authority.
Address- Vidhik Seva Marg Opposite SBI ATM, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh 495001.
· Name of intern, College & Year
Rishabh Dev Singh. Kalinga University, Raipur. B.A.LL.B 4th Year.
07/06/2017 - 27/06/2017
· Application process
No online sources are there for getting a slot for doing an internship. You have to go to the office and submit an application regarding internship enclosed with a recommendation letter from the college to one of the office staff and he simply forward it to the secretary after the confirmation of internship they will tell you know about the duration and will give you an internship form after filling the form you can start your internship.
· First day formality
I was attending a 21 days summer internship with my other classmates and other students from different colleges, so we have to attend the first 15 days in DLSA and after that 6 days in the SLSA. On the first day we were introduced to the secretary of DLSA, Raipur Mr. Umesh Upadhyay, he was telling us about the procedure of the Legal Aid Services Authorities and hierarchical order from NLSA to SLSA to DLSA and our 15 days schedule and visits.
There was an office attached to the Court building where the members of the office were working and one different chamber was there for the secretary. We used to sit in the conference room for meetings.
· Main task
1. Visit a Central jail or sub jail for one day in the district.
2. Visit an Observation Home/Juvenile Justice Board for one day.
3. Visit child welfare committee and children’s home for one day.
4. Visit a home for Senior Citizens for one day.
5. Visit the District Court including Magisterial, Sessions and Civil Court for one day.
6. While visiting the jail or observation homes, we had to interact with the inmates to find if they are represented by a counsel- whether private or legal services lawyers, find out the difficulties of inmates look at issue of production before the Court/JJB and observe the working of the legal services clinic established.
7. While visiting the JJB and District Court, we had to observe the working of the said institutions and also look at the role of the legal services lawyers in these institutions.
8. While visiting the children’s Home, Senior Citizens Home, Rehabilitation centre, we had to interact with the inmates, try to understand their problems and look at the conditions in which they stay and assess whether they need any kind of legal representation and make suitable report to Secretary, DLSA.
9. During the period with the DLSA we had to observe and understand the working of the ‘Front Office’ provision of legal aid to the legal aid beneficiaries, counselling, working of victim compensation scheme, administrative work etc.
10. We had to maintain a diary of the work done by them.
· Work environment and Peers
Every member of the committee was interactive and helps the victims and every member tries their best to help the victim in a systematic way. They also help us to understand their role in the office and also to visit the Court.
Nothing but the experience we got there on ground level at subordinate of NLSA is itself a big thing.
· Best thing
You can visit a jail without any imprisonment.
· Worst Thing
I didn’t experience any.
· Office Timing
It was according to the Court Time. Starts at 10:00 in the morning and end at 05:00 in the evening.
They don’t provide the accommodation; we were arranging our own boarding and lodging arrangements as well as for local travel both within the district to which we were attached for the internship and within the CGLSA Bilaspur.
· Other information
The Law is completely connected with the society. So if we are studying law, then we have to know about the condition of the society. Internship in the State Legal Services Authorities gives a chance to observe the society and understand the problems.
Rishabh Dev Singh
Kalinga University, Raipur