Prime minister (union cabinet) NARENDRA MODI has approved over RS 3941.35 CR for updating N P R (NATIONAL POPULATION REGISTER). This amount is approved for the census of 2021 in INDIA. It was call as a first step of N R C (NATIONAL REGISTER OF CITIZENS). The citizenship rules 2003, states that state clearly that the centre by issuing an order can decide a date to prepare the N P R. It also says that creation of NATIONAL REGISTER OFI INDIAN CITIZENS (NRIC). OR NRC which is for the citizens of INDIA .This is done by the local authority. The object of the N P R is to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident (the data is contain demographic and biometric particulars). The last data was collected in 2010 and also data was updated in 2015 through personal interview means door to door survey and also categories in various. It was decided by government to update N P R along with house listing in 2021. It will hold on April to December. The government said N P R and national register of citizens (N P C) are not linked the citizens’ rules, 2003 state that the centre can decide a date to prepare N R C.
This announcement comes after more than 20 people were killed in UP, ASSAMA, AND KARNATAKA in the violence related to protest against the citizenship amendment act (C A A). this amendment allows the citizenship on the bases of religion to undocumented non-Muslim people who are immigrants from Pakistan, Afghanistan , and Bangladesh those who enter in INDIA or before December 31 2014.
The N C R will be exercised from April to December in 2020, aim to collect biometric and demographics details of residents who is residing in that place from 6 months .
WHAT IS CENSUS? WHY IT IS CONDUCTED ?
What Is Census?
Population Census Is The Total Process Of Collecting,Compiling, Analyzing Or Otherwise Disseminating Demographic, Economic And Social Data Pertaining, At A Specific Time, Of All Persons In A Country Or A Well-Defined Part Of A Country. As Such, The Census Provides Snapshot Of The Country's Population And Housing At A Given Point Of Time. It Is The Data Which Is Collected For The Citizens Of Country For Their Identification And To Know The Population Of Country.
Why Census ?
The Census Provides Information On Size, Distribution And Socio-Economic, Demographic And Other Characteristics Of The Country's Population. The Data Collected Through The Census Are Used For Administration, Planning And Policy Making As Well As Management And Evaluation Of Various Programmes By The Government, NGOS, Researchers, Commercial And Private Enterprises, Etc. Census Data Is Also Used For Demarcation Of Constituencies And Allocation Of Representation To Parliament, State Legislative Assemblies And The Local Bodies. Researchers And Demographers Use Census Data To Analyze Growth And Trends Of Population And Make Projections. The Census Data Is Also Important For Business Houses And Industries For Strengthening And Planning Their Business For Penetration Into Areas, Which Had Hitherto Remained, Uncovered.
"IN FACT IN THESE DAYS YOU CAN NOT TAKE UP ANY SERIOUS ADMINISTRATIVE, ECONOMIC OR SOCIAL WORK WITHOUT REFERRING TO THE CENSUS REPORT WHICH IS AN ESSENTIAL PART OF EVERY ENQUIRY OF EVERY STUDY. EVEN FOR SOLUTION OF MINOR PROBLEMS YOU HAVE OFTEN TO CONSULT THE CENSUS REPORTS"
-- SHRI GOVIND BALLABH PANT
LEGAL PROVISION FOR IT
1. In THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA in Article 246 it is mentioned population union subject and it is listed in seventh schedule of Constitution.
2. The census act 1948forms the legal basis for conduct of the census in INDIA. It is an act of central legislation.
3. CENSUS ACT 1948 gives necessary authority to the census organization to access the prescribe survey and empower central government to notify the date and appoint census commissioner and superintendent of census operation.
4. The act provides penalties for the wrong information or false answer.
5. This act provides the secrecy of the information.
6. In R T I section 27 says it is a service of a teacher to tell the importance of census. Right to education makes it obligatory for teacher to tell.
7. Census information cannot be used as evidence in any civil or criminal proceedings.
8. It is also given in THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA in article 246.
9. Section 14 A of the Citizenship Act again. This Section 14A provides the legal basis for NPR preparation and links it with Census and NRC.
NATIONAL SAMPLE SURVEY OFFICE (N S S 0 )
This is categories into 3 parts
1. Sharable data (category A open access data).
In this the details of that is given by N S S (national sample survey )
2. Sharable data (category B registered and/or restricted data)
In this unit level of various rounds of N S S survey and urban frame survey sampling frames.
3. Non shareable data (negative list )
In this U F S maps of defense areas having its establishment and identifies particular of the unit level data of various rounds of N S S survey.
This survey is conducted in various areas-
1. In service sector about employment and unemployment
2. House hold consumer expenditure
3. Housing condition
4. Informal non-agriculture enterprise
5. Unincorporated non- agriculture enterprise
6. Unorganized manufacturing enterprise
7. Unorganized service sectors
8. Domestic tourism
Now a day’s there in INDIA there are lots of controversy related to the citizenship and in INDIA it is defined by the census about the populations. In India the citizenship is defined by three laws-
1. Citizenship act of 1955
2. The foreigners act 1946
3. The passport act of 1920
If a person is defined and can be identified with this three it can easy called Indian citizens but if not than refugees. In India there is no accurate estimation of immigrants living in India. To know about this government has made amendment in the citizenship act in which those who has come from Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh in India after 31 December 2014 has to go back to their own country or has to give prove about the identification of themselves that they are citizen of India or if wants to stay then fulfill the procedure. This all issues come when PM has announced by union home minister in parliament and updates in N R C will be done that amendment says non Muslim illegal immigrants has to go to their own state. Those who are citizens of India does not worry about this. Because of this issues are arises in the country.
Census is done for the benefit of the citizens. It is a duty of the citizens to give correct information to the officers appointed by government as it is taken by the local authority by door to door survey. In 2020 the new census records will be done between April to December. It will tell us about the population of India demographically and identically .census are done in every 10 year last time it was held in 2010 and updated in 2015 and now it will in 2020. To spread awareness about this teachers are obligatory for the details. The details are kept secretary so it is safe to give information about it.
Submitted By -
ITM University, Raipur